This is my experience with the famous $50 automotive paintjob. Total cost here was about $50, maybe $65 with the addition of the cheap Harbor Freight buffer I bought. Equipment list:
- Quart of Rustoleum gloss white paint
- Odorless mineral spirits
- Cheap foam brushes galore
- 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit (wet) sand paper
- Rattle Spray Can of Rustoleum gray primer
- Harbor Freight palm orbiting buffer
And starting at day one (600 grit sand prep)…
- The Rickwrench site above is pretty much right on. I would recommend getting as good of a primer as you can underneath it all, preferably the color you’re painting it as the coverage is terrible.
- I bought a buffer from Harbor Freight which did a lot for the sheen, but this job is definitely in “good enough” territory. It’s nothing special.
- It feels durable but we’ll see what it does with the test of time. Looks great though, especially at 4 feet away